Bold = Question still unanswered
(1) = Question answered in the Front magazine interview (see the Monkey Interviews - Masaaki Sakai - Front magazine page for full details)
(2) = Question answered in the Guardian newspaper interview (see the Monkey Interviews - Masaaki Sakai - Guardian newspaper page for full details)
(3) = Question answered in The Age newspaper interview (see the Monkey Interviews - Masaaki Sakai - The Age newspaper (Melbourne, Australia) page for full details)
(4) = Question answered in The Courier-Mail newspaper interview (see the Monkey Interviews - Masaaki Sakai - The Courier-Mail newspaper (Brisbane, Australia) page for full details)
(5) = Question answered in The Australian (Australia) interview (see the Monkey Interviews - Masaaki Sakai - The Australian (Australia) page for full details)
(6) = Question answered in the Rolling Stone magazine (Australia) interview (see the Monkey Interviews - Masaaki Sakai - Rolling Stone magazine (Australia) page for full details)
1. Before doing Monkey, did you have any martial arts training? (1) (4) (5)
2. Did you have a good time making Monkey? Do you have any funny stories about things that happened during filming?
3. What was Masako Natsume (Tripitaka) like? (Note: She died of leukaemia in 1985, aged 27, around six years after making Monkey) (2)
4. Do you know why Toshiyuki Nishida left after the first season?
5. Do you know why only 52 episodes were made? Was there ever a plan to continue with a season 3, where all the disciples reached India?
6. I've heard that some footage for Monkey was shot on location in northwest China and inner Mongolia. How long did you spend on location?
7. Do you still have your Monkey costume and accessories (magic wishing staff, headring)? (1)
8. Do you have a favourite memory of the time you spent making Monkey?
9. Your career in the entertainment business has spanned several decades, and you seem to have done everything - appeared in a band, had a career as a solo singer, appeared in comedy shows, TV dramas. Do you have any ambitions of things that you'd like to do in your career, which you haven't yet done?
10. Ever since you were very young, did you always plan to follow your father's footsteps, and go into the entertainment business?
11. Of all the songs you've done over the years, with the Spiders, as a solo singer, and now with Sans Filtre, do you have a favourite song? (2)
12. Monkey was always teasing Pigsy and Sandy. Which character do you think Monkey preferred out of those two?
13. In some episodes of Monkey, there's a Japanese version of the Godiego song "Thank you Baby". Did you sing this?
14. Was Monkey a difficult character for you to play?
15. Would you have preferred to have to been a different character, and if so which one?
16. What do you think accounts for the popularity of Monkey?
17. Have you got a message for your overseas fans?
18. Which episode of Monkey is your favourite? (2) (3) (5)
19. Do you have a favourite demon?
20. Are you a Buddhist?
21. Do you like the Tokyo Shock Boys? They seem like your style?
22. What's your biggest regret in life?
23. How tall are you?
24. Have you ever considered the impact of the Monkey series on the lives of fans around the world? You'd probably be surprised how deeply it penetrated some people.
25) Do you keep in touch with the other cast members of Monkey? (1) (3)
26) Who would win in a fight between Monkey and Darth Maul?
27) Were the sideburns real? (1) (6)
28) When making Monkey, did you ever think, "Oh my God, this is so ridiculous; will anyone like it?" ?
29) Did you fancy Masako Natsume?
30) Which Pigsy do you prefer - Toshiyuki Nishida or Tonpei Hidari?
31) If there was a Hollywood movie of Monkey, would you star in it?
32) Why didn't you reach India in the series? Why did the series end abruptly, without a definite ending?
33) Have you seen the English version of Monkey? (1)
34) Do you have a favourite cult TV series?
35) Did you ever think twice about taking the role? If you hadn't, would it have affected your career?
36) Who else was offered the role?
37) Did you have to audition for Monkey? Do you remember what you had to do? (5)
38) Do you think your children will go into the acting business?
39) Who's your favourite actor?
40) What happened to the original props and costumes from Monkey? Where are they now?
41) What was your ambition as a child?
42) Did you go to Masako Natsume's funeral? Were you upset when she died?
43) Was it a big news event when Masako Natsume died?
44) Did you have any creative input on the show? (1)
45) Do you have all the episodes on video?
46) If a sequel was made, would you be in it?
47) If you could choose a Hollywood actor to play Monkey, who would you choose? (6)
48) Did you get on well with the other cast members?(2)
If you have any additional interview questions for Masaaki Sakai, please send them to me using the Monkey Feedback page, and I'll add them here.